Laying of Foundation Stone
Our parish was established in 1958. Mass was celebrated in Ferrioli's Cafe and then in various school halls until building commenced, 18 March, 1964 on the combined church and presbytery.
On 15 June 1964 the Foundation Stone was laid by his Grace James Donald Scanlan, Archbishop of Glasgow. After touring the site of the church, the Archbishop blessed the foundations and then inserted a canister containing a parchment on which was written the inscription sculpted on the stone together with a handful of coins and other objects.
The inscription reads: "Invoking God, James Donald, Archbishop of Glasgow, placed this stone with the legend sculpted thereon, in this building dedicated to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, on the 15th day of June, 1965, Paul the Sixth being Pope".
The church was designed by Gillespie, Kidd & Coia, more locally referred to as a "Coia". The Church and church house are category "A" listed buildings.
Today our church is accessible for private prayer or indeed architectural study, daily from 9.00am till approx7.30pm. Entry is by code which can be obtained from the Presbytery.